Tuesday, June 12, 2007

State of Shock!

No wonder, there has'nt been any post on this blog since a while. What do you expect? 90% of the ISB population came here believing in their guts, that they are gonna end up in the top 10% of the batch, a.k.a in the Dean's list.

Term 1 Exams are over. Scores are out. Unfortunately, maths does not have any emotion. As a lot of folks figured out, only 10% can come in the top 10%. So what about the remaining 80% "junta"? As I said, they are in a state of shock.

I think I would be a "representative sample" (Thanks to Prof Stine, I know exactly what I mean by that) of this 80% crowd. So you will get the drift if you check out my story.

The day I joined ISB, I carried a lot of baggage. This baggage I had earned from my past life. Some of it by sheer good luck, a few I had actually slogged to achieve. More often than not, I had found myself amongst the more lucky ones. Then I realized, that hey, I am not lucky. I am actually a great performer. I am able to achieve my goals, where many do not..Thanks to many successes, I was tempered to believe that results are always within reach. I just have to stretch enough. In short, like the rest of the 420 individuals who joined ISB, I thought I am SuperMan.

Now, the writing is on the wall (or blackboard, you could say:-)) The truth is, I may be SuperMan. But there are 419 more of them. And you know maths does not have emotions. So you end up with 380 Supermen, who cant be supermen, as they used to be, because they are some 40 Super Supermen.

It is not something easy to digest. It is not pleasant to find out a new weakness in yourself, every damn day. Thats true. Every damn thing that you did well, there are a dozen others who do it even better. Things about yourself that you never knew, now stare glaringly at your face. But come to think of it, am I not better off now? I am.

So that is why many of us are probably in a state of shock. Some of us will come out of it instantly. And accept it. Some will accept it and fight it. I hope I end up in the latter group.

Anyways, the moral of the story is that ISB is very competitive. As an alumnus has said, ISB will give you the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows.

So folks, if you are reading this from outside ISB, thinking about whether to join next year or not, trust me. You can only gain from ISB. Forget about the salary gains. I am taking about something more profound. To be honest, you have to actually live through it to understand it.

And by the way, I have requested many foks from my batch to write on this blog. So you should see more interesting stuff. If you are an ISB applicant and would like us to write about any specific thing, please leave a comment. We will try and share our views on that.

cheers,
C

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

To all ISBians,

Congratulations to all who did well !! & also to those who dint do so well !!!
( At the end , u all are great in your own ways to make it to ISB)
Ur blogs always keep the ISB aspirants like me to feel the ISB life from outside. Till now the feeling was great & I thought the race was just till the time to make it to ISB but after reading this blog, seems the race is always on & on at ISB....!!!

Thanks to all ISBian bloggers !!

Anonymous said...

hey dude!!!very well written
I think the 1st term is not the end of the world....still 3 more terms 2 go....
so better late than never!!!
i like ur attitude of fighting back to the storms....
anyways....ALL D VERY BEST:)

Deepak Chembath said...

I think too much has been written about grades. I think we would be much better off not thinking about these silly numbers or alphabets, if you will.

Anonymous said...

This is just the begining. I hope you guys do better than just gettin good grades.

Enjoy every moment out there. Grades do not matter that much and learnings are ISB are applicable well beyond the six weeks for which you are graded!

Good luck and keep posting

Venkat
Class of 07

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see someone write about the 'other' 10% of the class, who don't care about where they end up, grades wise :) Isn't 80% of the class envious of these guys, coz they are the ones that are least disappointed.

cheers!

Anubhav said...

Hi chandan,

I am Anubhav , naturally(i say this because anybody who knows ISB wants to be a part of it "Naturally") I am looking forward to applying to ISB next year, I just wanted to know what chances a guy with 2.5 yrs of workex and 710 gmat have, to join ISB. Thanks to all of you students to letting people like me know that ISB is not a cake walk even after u get in, this was the belief i had , and after reading all the blogs , i understand what goes into the MBA of a top B-School.

passion said...

thanks for giving an insight of isb life to the external world.....

....well i remember when i used to slog and cram during my b tech course i used to think..i m not doing it for my will...doing it cause it has to be done...jus because i need those grades to get placed in a good company...and then 3 yrs ahead...i m actually not doing a penny in my professional life what i studied in engg....all those 4 yrs of muggin seems waste now...seems some times as if i cheated with my academics....

don know if it is goin to be the same in isb??? do people mug and slog again out of the fear of competition..or under peer pressure else they will be thrown out during placements....asking very frankly but is this what the isb academic exper. gives u ???(leave aside the diversity and peer learning fundas)

i wanna do mba from a place which will give me the liberty to reach a position where i want to be...and not land up again in a place jus because....yaar yeh company pahle aayi to baith gaya...fat rahi thi aas pass ki janta placed ho rahi thi, aur paise bhi acche they...

passion said...

would definetly like to know if isb can give me such a flexibility....would wait for the response

Zouggik said...

Hi Chandan,

Just wanted to know the ratio of IT exp people in your batch. Also if possible if you could share all the diff types of profiles and their numbers it will be gr8 help to me.

Thanks
-Subas Mahapatra

Zouggik said...

Hi Chandan,

Just wanted to know the ratio of IT exp people in your batch. Also if possible if you could share all the diff types of profiles and their numbers it will be gr8 help to me.

Thanks
-Subas Mahapatra

Bala R Battu said...

It is a nice post...
ISB seems is like 'Rangula ratnam. ISB aspirants try to climb it, people who are already there trying to get down.......I thought of join it, then I think of what I have to do after finishing it, I felt a MBA job is like a clerical job, of course in different level. Then I stop thinking about it joined for research in UK.